Douglas Arvidson is a past winner of the WICE/Paris Transcontinental International Short Story competition. His short fiction has been published in Paris, Prague, and in literary magazines in the United States and he was recently invited to be a staff writer for the Prague Revue, a cutting-edge, online literary journal (http://bit.ly/1mMT6ZC). The novels in his fantasy series, The Eye of the Eye of Stallion, include The Face in Amber, The Mirrors of Castaway Time, and A Drop of Wizard's Blood. His new novel, Brothers of the Fire Star, was selected as a finalist in the ForeWord Reviews 2012 Book of the Year national awards and as a finalist in three categories in the 2013 New Mexico-Arizona Book Awards: Action Adventure Fiction, Historical Fiction, and Young Adult Fiction. It has become part of the pantheon of Pacific literature and is now included in school literature programs. Brothers of the Fire Star is an adventure story set in the Pacific during World War II and concerns two boys of different races and cultures who escape the island of Guam in a small sailboat when the Japanese army invades. They must then struggle to survive as they master the secrets of the ancient Pacific navigators. Appropriate for young adults as well as adult readers, Brothers of the Fire Star is available on Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com (http://amzn.to/1j3axVk) and Crossquarter.com. Visit the author's website: douglasarvidson.com



Sunday, July 12, 2009

We Hit the Road Again Tomorrow After a Few Days at Home, Hemingway a KGB Agent?

So now they're saying Earnest was a KGB agent. I'd love to see that documentation. The Old Man was complex and neurotic as hell and a bully and a drunk but a KGB agent? (Reportedly his code name was Argo, but he never sent them any info--Say it ain't so, Hem).

I accidentally left my $1400 Nikon DX40 on the plane on the flight from Newark to Norfolk last week. I live with that damned thing attached to me, nearly, and feel naked without it. I contacted Continental Airlines as soon as we got home, filling out all the lost and found stuff on their website, but have heard nothing yet. I'm falling back on my little, pocket-sized Nikon now--it will have to do. Meanwhile, I'm digging down into that little Buddha way down inside me and being mindful that it was just a thing, and get over it.

Two days with friends here on the Eastern Shore (great fun) and tomorrow we drive to D.C. to watch a great friend place a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier then on Thursday we leave from D.C. and drive to MA to help celebrate my Dad's 90th B'day.

Had another episode of my old heart arrhythmia last week. Kept me in bed one day and then it went away. Blaming it on the 24 hour day we put in trying to get from Salinas to San Diego. Got to bed at 5:00 A.M. and woke up with my heart bouncing around.

My laptop is still in the shop waiting for a new power cord. I'm on Terry's machine here, but can't access my photos.

No work on the book pub date yet. What's the hold up, ya' tink?

No comments:

Post a Comment