Douglas Arvidson is a past winner of the WICE/Paris Transcontinental International Short Story competition. His short fiction has been published in Paris, Prague, and in literary magazines in the United States and he was recently invited to be a staff writer for the Prague Revue, a cutting-edge, online literary journal (http://bit.ly/1mMT6ZC). The novels in his fantasy series, The Eye of the Eye of Stallion, include The Face in Amber, The Mirrors of Castaway Time, and A Drop of Wizard's Blood. His new novel, Brothers of the Fire Star, was selected as a finalist in the ForeWord Reviews 2012 Book of the Year national awards and as a finalist in three categories in the 2013 New Mexico-Arizona Book Awards: Action Adventure Fiction, Historical Fiction, and Young Adult Fiction. It has become part of the pantheon of Pacific literature and is now included in school literature programs. Brothers of the Fire Star is an adventure story set in the Pacific during World War II and concerns two boys of different races and cultures who escape the island of Guam in a small sailboat when the Japanese army invades. They must then struggle to survive as they master the secrets of the ancient Pacific navigators. Appropriate for young adults as well as adult readers, Brothers of the Fire Star is available on Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com (http://amzn.to/1j3axVk) and Crossquarter.com. Visit the author's website: douglasarvidson.com



Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Special Weekend with Grandson, A New Book Cover

Truth, is, I hated the cover of Book I of The Eye of the Stallion trilogy, The Face in Amber. It didn't reach out to potential readers, it didn't describe the book, it didn't excite. But, by the time I realized that, it was too late. I didn't want to complain. We live, we learn.

Now, though, as Book II is about to be released, my publisher has agreed to re-cover the first one and I've been working with a graphic artist on getting it done. To the left here, you see an early version. There will be changes, but I like this very much. It does all the things the first one didn't do--it makes you want to pick up the book. And it's fun to sit down next to a talented graphic artist at his computer and try different ideas until you say, "Yes! That's it!"

Tomorrow I have a TV interview in Salisbury, MD regarding my writing (I assume it's about my writing. I hope it's not about religion or politics). I need to be up early and get to the studio by 9:00 and ready to talk. I'll show off the new book and this version of the new cover for Book I.

So, meanwhile, I flew to Atlanta over the weekend and had a great visit with my daughter, her husband, and my perfectly wonderful grandson, Konrad. Such a kid there never was. It's true, believe me. Once my Internet is back up (I'm writing this in a cafe around the corner from my house, using their wi-fi), I'll post a couple of pix here. I'm sure you're all excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment