Douglas Arvidson is a past winner of the WICE/Paris Transcontinental International Short Story competition. His short fiction has been published in Paris, Prague, and in literary magazines in the United States and he was recently invited to be a staff writer for the Prague Revue, a cutting-edge, online literary journal (http://bit.ly/1mMT6ZC). The novels in his fantasy series, The Eye of the Eye of Stallion, include The Face in Amber, The Mirrors of Castaway Time, and A Drop of Wizard's Blood. His new novel, Brothers of the Fire Star, was selected as a finalist in the ForeWord Reviews 2012 Book of the Year national awards and as a finalist in three categories in the 2013 New Mexico-Arizona Book Awards: Action Adventure Fiction, Historical Fiction, and Young Adult Fiction. It has become part of the pantheon of Pacific literature and is now included in school literature programs. Brothers of the Fire Star is an adventure story set in the Pacific during World War II and concerns two boys of different races and cultures who escape the island of Guam in a small sailboat when the Japanese army invades. They must then struggle to survive as they master the secrets of the ancient Pacific navigators. Appropriate for young adults as well as adult readers, Brothers of the Fire Star is available on Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com (http://amzn.to/1j3axVk) and Crossquarter.com. Visit the author's website: douglasarvidson.com



Monday, January 12, 2009

Off to Tokyo and Guam: What's This About Sake Bombs?

Here I am a few years ago with my great friend Don on the seawall on the island of Guam. We were neighbors when Terry and I lived on a sailboat on this seawall for 10 years. Seems impossible now. You can just see the blue sail cover of our boat off to the left of the picture. We had had some luck fishing that day and were proud, very happy, and just maybe a little drunk. So be it.

Tomorrow we fly to Tokyo and then next Monday, back to Guam for some book research and FEA business and some sailing and fishing, too, and a lot of partying, I'm certain. Right here on this seawall, the scene of a decade of great living.

Speaking of Tokyo, I'm glad I had to go to google to check on the history of SAKE or I never would have gotten the recipe for sake bombs. I'm going to try one--or maybe they don't actually drink sake bombs in Tokyo. Might be one of those American things. See, you fill a glass with beer and then carefully balance a shot of sake on two chopsticks over the beer and then after saying some sort of prayer or whatever, you hit the shot glass and the sake falls into the beer, glass and all. Never tried it and I'm not much into either sake or beer but I'll have to try just one. I'm actually a moderate drinker--really.

Spent the morning packing ( Success--I can wear size 36 pants again without raising my blood pressure) for the trip. The trouble is packing for winter Tokyo and tropical Guam--gonna need two suitcases, I guess. Hate that.

The cats are getting nervous. It stresses them out when we leave. Zeke always vomits on the bed and other find'em-with-your-foot places like the new, hand-woven carpet from India we have in the dining room. Always a pleasure coming home to those kinds of surprises.
The plumber was supposed to come this morning to heat wrap the pipes. He promised me (third time's a charm?). It's gonna get real cold tomorrow and last year the pipes froze. The plumber (is his name Joe? No, Joe the Plumber is in Israel reporting news, under, he says, the protection of his Christian God) doesn't want to do the job because he has to crawl/slide way in under the house to reach the pipes. He's been avoiding my phone calls by using caller I.D. but I nailed him yesterday by using my cell phone. Ha. He hasn't shown up yet and it's 12:30 p.m. I have a feeling he'll get the last laugh.
So, I'm outta here for almost two weeks. I might get to do a blog from the Far Rim of the Pacific. Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment