Douglas Arvidson is a past winner of the WICE/Paris Transcontinental International Short Story competition. His short fiction has been published in Paris, Prague, and in literary magazines in the United States and he was recently invited to be a staff writer for the Prague Revue, a cutting-edge, online literary journal (http://bit.ly/1mMT6ZC). The novels in his fantasy series, The Eye of the Eye of Stallion, include The Face in Amber, The Mirrors of Castaway Time, and A Drop of Wizard's Blood. His new novel, Brothers of the Fire Star, was selected as a finalist in the ForeWord Reviews 2012 Book of the Year national awards and as a finalist in three categories in the 2013 New Mexico-Arizona Book Awards: Action Adventure Fiction, Historical Fiction, and Young Adult Fiction. It has become part of the pantheon of Pacific literature and is now included in school literature programs. Brothers of the Fire Star is an adventure story set in the Pacific during World War II and concerns two boys of different races and cultures who escape the island of Guam in a small sailboat when the Japanese army invades. They must then struggle to survive as they master the secrets of the ancient Pacific navigators. Appropriate for young adults as well as adult readers, Brothers of the Fire Star is available on Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com (http://amzn.to/1j3axVk) and Crossquarter.com. Visit the author's website: douglasarvidson.com



Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Feeling Great, Spring Weather, and Sailboat Dreams

Woke up today with sunlight--SUNLIGHT-- streaming in the bedroom window. This after days and days of dark, cold, and wet. It seemed the pounding of the rain on the roof would never stop, that the pitiful daffodils drooping their lovely yellow faces at the mud would never have their day. But here it is--their day. And and so it would be mine, too.

It is passing wonderful how bright sunlight can charm the soul. I wanted to dance my old feet out of the house and absorb this light into my bones. And so I did, at the expense, I suppose of my writing. Never mind. We can't be to obsessive about stuff. Need to allow for vagaries of mood and Mother Nature.

So, I went about doing those outdoor things a man might otherwise put off, despite wifely encouragement. I loaded the truck with bag after bag of lawn rakings and the frame of the old deck awning that's been lying around in the muck all winter. I took them to the dump and enjoyed the drive so much that afterwards I went out to the marina where we have rented a slip in preparation for the arrival of our new sailboat. The marina is just around the corner from the Chesapeake Bay, a body of water that, today with the sun full on its face, looked very fine indeed. Once there, I indulged my desire to just stand on the dock and look around, take in deep breaths of the cool, glowing air, and picture myself sailing in or sailing out.

Later, I blew my self out at the gym so that now, in addition to buzz from the perfect weather, I have that exquisite quivering muscle burn that makes one feel that one might just be able to live forever. Tomorrow I'll be back to face the empty pages that need to be filled with words woven into patterns that will delight the mind's ear. If I'm very lucky that will come as naturally and as simply as happiness came to me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment