Douglas Arvidson is a past winner of the WICE/Paris Transcontinental International Short Story competition. His short fiction has been published in Paris, Prague, and in literary magazines in the United States and he was recently invited to be a staff writer for the Prague Revue, a cutting-edge, online literary journal (http://bit.ly/1mMT6ZC). The novels in his fantasy series, The Eye of the Eye of Stallion, include The Face in Amber, The Mirrors of Castaway Time, and A Drop of Wizard's Blood. His new novel, Brothers of the Fire Star, was selected as a finalist in the ForeWord Reviews 2012 Book of the Year national awards and as a finalist in three categories in the 2013 New Mexico-Arizona Book Awards: Action Adventure Fiction, Historical Fiction, and Young Adult Fiction. It has become part of the pantheon of Pacific literature and is now included in school literature programs. Brothers of the Fire Star is an adventure story set in the Pacific during World War II and concerns two boys of different races and cultures who escape the island of Guam in a small sailboat when the Japanese army invades. They must then struggle to survive as they master the secrets of the ancient Pacific navigators. Appropriate for young adults as well as adult readers, Brothers of the Fire Star is available on Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com (http://amzn.to/1j3axVk) and Crossquarter.com. Visit the author's website: douglasarvidson.com



Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Today is St. Patrick's Day--Mr. O'Bama Sure Could Use That Pot of Gold













I'm writing this whilst sitting in my favorite over-stuffed reclining chair, in front if my favorite 47" HighDef TV. I woke up on this very wet, very late-winter day and realized I was STILL RETIRED. Imagine. No reason to get up, none at all. The fat tiger cat, Ms. Puss, even curled up next to me, expecting the best--a long sleep in with the 'ole man.

Then I remembered Terry is off to Atlanta this morning and I needed to see her off and haul her luggage out to the car (in the rain, in my pajamas--the least I could do). And I also remembered it was St. Patrick's Day. The fountain at the White House was to be turned green and there it was, on Morning Joe--bubbling green. I missed seeing it by three days when I was in D.C. I was wandering around that city last week and took this photo of O'Bama's new house (any mortgage worries? Whadyya think?) but the bubbles were pure white. Had I known, I might have hung around a bit longer (Actually no, the hotel is way to expensive). It turns out that Mr. O'Bama's great-great-great grandfather was, truly, Irish. Everyone on Morning Joe seemed pleased by this revelation. I plan on bellying up to the nearest Irish pub myself this P.M. and lifting a pint (of Guinness) for my favorite Irishman. In any event, here's a green-tinged poster of The Man himself. I took the picture in D.C. just after I took the disappointing none-green-water one of the White House.

Meanwhile, the political games in D.C. continue undaunted by the Irish sending a real leprechaun to meet with our Prez. There he was standing chubby and oh, so green, next to O'Bama, and speaking with a perfect leprechaun's brogue and thanking the U.S. for always standing by when the Emerald Isle needed us. You're indeed welcome. Now, how about doing something for us? A trillion dollars ought to do it. Or maybe you can arrange for us to find that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment